Horse Hire for Universities
Polo Pony Providers as at 20th November 2012. These are insured and Licensed to hire ponies, SUPA has seen the Certificates if stated Y.
Only providers on this list, with a “Y” shown (in the appropriate column) have sent details to SUPA, you as the organiser and hirer, on behalf of your club are responsible for any claims made.
|Cool Hooves||Phil||01344 891558||Y|
|Druids Lodge Polo||Abi||01722 782597||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y|
|Greenpoint Polo||Sophie||07973 174542||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y|
|Kinross Polo Club||Thom||07831 365194||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y|
|Kirklington Park||Melissa||07831 750502||Y||Y||Y|
|Lytchett Heath Polo Club||Jemima||07976 279161||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y|
|Offchurch Bury Polo Club||Tessa||07816 830887||Y||Y||Y|
|Rugby Polo Club||Phil/Huw||01788 817724||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y|
SUPA does not endorse Pony Suppliers or Coaches. SUPA does provide contact details for suppliers who support SUPA and provide discounted rates for horse hire and lessons. It is up to the University or individual who hires ponies to check all insurances and conditions of ponies, prior to hiring. This is not SUPA’s responsibility and as such the agreement made is between hirer and client.
Riding School Licence
Pony hirer’s should have a Riding School Licence to be able to hire ponies for both welfare and insurance reasons. It is up to the hirer to check this is in place.
Polo is a dangerous sport and we wish to make the game both fun and safe to the highest standard. SUPA cannot be held responsible for your selection of ponies nor vendors or the consequences related thereto. We strongly recommend you be diligent in the selection of horse hire vendors as this decision is your sole responsibility. We do however reserve the right to refuse the use of a horse which we believe to be a danger or not in the interest of the tournament or jeopardising the welfare of the pony or riders involved in the tournament.
SUPA Policy for Recognised Polo Pony Suppliers to Members of SUPA
The following policy was adopted by the SUPA Assembly and effective for the 2010 SUPA Season. Purpose: Identification and interpretation of minimum standards required for SUPA from 2010 onward.
SUPA has the responsibility and duty of care to its members, institutions, Pony Suppliers and Coaches by law and convention as a Limited Company. Therefore, SUPA, in its pursuit of “good practise”, has set forth the following guidelines and standards, as have most other sporting associations within the UK.
These high level standards are designed to lift the awareness of safety guidelines to our members, to raise the welfare standards of our ponies and protect the interests of our users, our Polo Pony Suppliers, our Ponies and our Coaches.
We have informed our members of this policy, so that they can make “informed decisions”. To this end, SUPA has published a list of firstly Polo Pony Providers and secondly of SUPA Facilities and Coaches, who have historically been associated with serving members of SUPA over the past few years. The Stewards have quantified the optimal, required and minimum qualifications, accreditations and legal documentation required to be RECOGNISED by SUPA members and SUPA insurers.
From 2010 onwards, SUPA will publish and update this list on its website (www.supa.org.uk) on circumstantial changes and documentary proof. Avoidance or non-compliance may render your own insurance policy null and void.
All SUPA Polo Pony Supplier, if engaged with SUPA Member-Players should be/have a registered Coach (HPA Qualified) which conforms with NOS (National Occupational Standard) requirements. This NOS requirement will be phased in throughout 2010. SUPA considers NOS compliance a minimum standard.
The following headings are numbered 1 through 6 and assess each Polo Pony Supplier. The information has been verified by SUPA as of January 2010 and will be updated periodically. Requirements for RECOGNISED SUPA Polo Pony Suppliers shall provide:
1. Appropriate Liability Insurance for individuals or riding establishments who rent polo ponies for “hire & reward” at either HPA clubs or SUPA assessed riding establishments or other venues as agreed with SUPA.
2. Riding School Licence. This is obtained from local councils and is a statutory requirement to validate any liability insurance. This Local Council registered and licensed vehicles are “fit for use” for “Hire and Reward” establishments. THIS IS A LEGAL REQUIREMENT.
3. All Ponies/horses must have a current HPA stamped Equine Passport. See rule 4d. THIS IS A LEGAL REQUIREMENT. All passports will be checked on arrival at University tournaments..
4. All Ponies/Horses must have up to date vaccinations shown in Equine Passports against flu and tetanus. THIS IS A LEGAL REQUIREMENT All passports will be checked on arrival at University Tournaments.
5. All Polo Pony Providers must clearly identify its Qualified HPA Coach who is considered accountable/responsible for any hirelings, the SUPA team entered in all SUPA Tournaments, or who provides regular training and instruction.
6. BONUS SCORE: Polo Pony Providers who agree to offer concessionary SUPA pricing guidelines. 2010 guidelines:Beginner £50/55 per chukka. Novice £50/55 per chukka. Intermediate £55/60 per chukka. Combined £50/65 per chukka. Prices quoted should include Hire, transport or stabling cost.